May 11, 2007

Vive teh Facebook...

So yeah, I'm one of the umpteen billion people who are on Facebook. With my whopping 68 (so far) friends. Its been wonderful for me so far…I've re-connected with lots of stimulating people from high school (including my grad year prom date!) and its been really great seeing the different paths people have taken. There is no-one on my friend list who I wouldn't like to sit down and have a friendly chat with. I understand that Facebook is a popularity contest for some, but I don't treat it that way. I don't see the point of having people in your list just for the sake of it…luckily there have been no major eyebrow raising additions…you know the ones. The "WTF is that person wanting to add me as a friend when we are obviously not?" friends.

The majority of people in my list are people from my "adult" life. Mostly online friends (long story as to how we all ended up in the same place…don't ask. lol!), several whom I've met in person. I've also had the "pleasure" of being involved in more than one online feud within the group. The feud(s) have caused me and several other friends to see some of the other women in a totally different way. Its broken up friendships and made others stronger. As a result, there are at least three different cliques that came out of the original group.

I had kind of left it behind me…I have better things to worry about than a bunch of catty women who have nothing better to do than gossip and talk trash about their "enemies". I don't need it anymore. I'm happy that I have so many strong and meaningful friendships and don't want to waste our "friend time" with being bitchy towards others. But something has been brought to my attention by a Facebook/online/real life friend. Apparently said "mean girls" are STILL being children and trash talking on their walls. No names are mentioned, but my friend isn't stupid…it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who they're talking about.

Holy hell. I feel like I'm in high school again. I felt it back when the original catty crap was going on a couple of years ago, and I'm feeling it all over again with the Facebook thing. Its not a nice feeling.

High school was NOT a particularly fun time for me. Long story short, early on in my high school career, I was associated with some people who didn't have the best reputations. That association stuck with me, no matter how hard I tried to shake it AND the people "responsible". For six long years. It didn't help that I was homely, skinny and awkward. Needless to say, I didn't even think twice about getting the hell out of my hometown. I was so happy to leave the mess behind me and start fresh. So this whole going back to high school in my thirties thing isn't sitting well.

None of the people on the "other side" are in my friend list. I honestly don't know what I'll do if any of them initiate contact. Refuse? Add them and play nice? Part of me says to do the latter since we are all adults. But I small part of me thinks there's always the worry that they are trying to dig up dirt on others who are legit friends in my list. Which would piss me off and the whole fight would start anew if/when I removed the culprit from my friend list. See??? High school…


What is the Facebook etiquette on this? Anyone? *sigh*

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh freaking hell. I know exactly who you're talking about. It's been what, two years? How can they still care about it?

Good luck with the etiquette thing. I suck at it myself.

12/5/07 09:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here!!!

12/5/07 13:47  
Blogger ccw said...

I have a no drama rule for my friendships. My very best IRL friend and I parted ways after 20 years of friendship because she was pulling HS tricks to get out of having to admit that she said x,y, and z.

Life's too short!

14/5/07 07:56  
Blogger Tanya said...

ccw, I've done something kind of similar with an old friend...we didn't "break up" exactly, but we haven't spoken in a LONG time and i don't miss her...

Andrea, you'd think! But no...

14/5/07 14:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'd think people by now would grow up !!

14/5/07 20:31  
Blogger Chantal said...

I've seen some people on Facebook who weren't very nice to me in high school. I worried they would poke or friend me etc... but so far, none of them have. Seems people don't change and you can still see the clique lines when it comes to my own high school.

What freaks me out about facebook is that now, people I haven't heard from in 13 years know EVERYTHING about my life, because of how I have it set up. When I started I used it more for people in my life NOW and didn't realize people from my life THEN, would pop up. It's weird, eh?

17/5/07 08:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home