January 19, 2006

Is there a Knit-anon?

I need it.

I decided (in among mourning my baby turning two) that I need an interesting hobby. Which, if you read between the lines, means I need something to do during Iain's naps that won't turn my brain to mush. As I was contemplating what to do, a flyer comes in the mail. Join the Crafter's Choice Book Club! Receive three books of your choice for $1 each and you only have to buy two more books in the next year to fulfill your membership requirements! Yeehaw!

So I'm looking at the flyer. All sorts of stuff...soap making, candle making, scrapbooking, crocheting, knitting. Mostly instructional books too, especially included in the mailing for suckers like me, no doubt. I talk to Cael's sitter often...at least once a day she calls to tell me how cute Cael is (of course) or to bitch abt one particularly anal and annoying parent she has to deal with. She's a knitter...she made Cael a beautiful sweater for his birthday, as well as matching hat and mitts for Christmas. She always has a project going, and makes dishclothes when she's bored. ;) I tell her I'm thinking abt getting some of the books for fun, but couldn't find three that I wanted. Turns out she has the knitting one I was eyeing, so she sent it that nite with Cael's dirty diapers. Its a good book! Lots of good info. And I'd knit before, so how hard would it be to get back into it? So I decide to get that one.

The next day, I mention to Gail that I'm getting the book and will have to practice before I start any grand projects. She sent home a set of needles and some practice yarn for me to work with. Last nite I sat on the couch and learned how to cast on and knit. Then it came time to purl. Lets just say I'm a purling idiot. The pictures in the book made no sense at all. I literally sat on the couch looking dumbly back and forth from the needles in my hands to the pictures in the book. Jon thot it was pretty hilarious. Thank the gods, today I found this site which has videos of knitting techniques etc. Muuuuch better! So I spent Iain's morning nap purling it up. And I can't wait 'til his next nap so I can practice some more. My goal is to make myself a nice simple wool poncho for the spring. And hopefully a nice scarf, hat and mitt set for next winter. I think its safe to say that I won't be able to finish one for this year...

Now, I also used to crochet. Not very well mind you...I still have my first attempt at a scarf. It somehow got narrower and narrower as I went along. Anyway, I always found it easier than knitting, with the one hook to work with instead of two sharp pointy sticks. I spot an instructional crocheting book in the lot...Gail owns that one too! She quickly looked thru it and said she thot it was a good book. So I decide to get that one.

I need one more to get my three books for $1 each. I figured there was no point in getting any pattern books...there are so many free knitting and crocheting patterns online. So I consider the other options. Soapmaking? I've been thinking abt making my own soaps...but it seems like a lot of work. Next! Beading? Sounds fun...and so pretty. But beads and an almost crawler who will be shoving everything in his mouth doesn't sound like a good idea. Home sewing projects? Again, wonderful...but my ancient hand-me-down sewing matching from my MIL died (while I was sewing velcro on diapers...I was so pissed), and buying a new one isn't on our priority list right now.

I moved on to the obvious. Scrapbooking. *sigh* As much as I love people's scrapbooks, I feel bad that I haven't even started a book for Cael yet, and I worry that any attempt I make now will be pretty rushed and crappy. But I saw a book that boasts "quick and easy scrapbook pages" and figured I'd give it a shot. If it isn't quick and easy, I'll sell it on Ebay! ;)

THEN I saw that I could buy one of my two required books now for $8.99. Not bad, considering that most books sell for $20 and up. So, having been inspired by the gorgeous homemade Christmas cards we received this year, I pick Quick and Clever Instant Cards. Look for some inspired creations next Christmas...knowing my skill level, I'll have to start making them at Easter.

So, I'm becoming one of those crafty people. Andrea, are you proud of me? ;)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very proud! :D

The conversion is going as planned.... (cackle)

Oh wait, was that out loud? Oops.

20/1/06 07:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have caught knitting fever this winter. I've knit about 6 scarves so I thought it was time to move on. I'm knitting a baby blanket for my BF who's having her first baby in April. The pattern was listed as "Easy". We'll see...

20/1/06 09:01  
Blogger ccw said...

I'm certainly proud of you. I cannot knit, crochet, needlepoint, etc. I did one page of Kid L's scrapbook. I am woefully uncrafty or lazy or maybe both. :)

20/1/06 09:15  
Blogger Tanya said...

andrea, yes...yes it is. congratulations! ;) do you have any fave online stores for scrapping/card making supplies? since i don't get out much and all...

donna, scarves certainly are my forté. tho i'm excited abt the poncho! my only problem is that i don't want to use the recommended yarn for the pattern i'd like to use...i want to use actual wool, not acrylic. and i can't find wool of the exact weight, so i'll have to slightly change the pattern so the gauge is right. seems like a lot of work. any tips?

ccw, laziness is the main reason i haven't started anything. tho brain-is-mush syndrome has taken hold in a big way (it really is being sucked out of my boobs), so it should be interesting to see what i can come up with. lol! but i think once i get materials and get started, it will be fun! come oooon...join in!

omg...i'm now a recruiter...

20/1/06 14:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snort* It doesn't take long to progress from the rank of "initiate" to "proselytizer," does it?

The only online store I've ordered from is thescrappingbug.com (I think that's the addy)--Cdn, reasonable prices, very good service. It usually takes 1 or 2 days to receive an order after placing it.

Though there are some very nice-looking stores in the Ottawa area that have online components, I think--I've just never had a chance to use them. If you email me at my home address though, I can send you the links.

20/1/06 14:37  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Thanks so much for the KnittingHelp video site. I've viewed a few and they've helped. I'll pass the site along to others.

22/1/06 02:38  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oooh, you are so crafty. Pretty soon anything that sits put in your home will have a cozy made for it.

23/1/06 11:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/5/06 02:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home