April 20, 2006

I can't believe I forgot to mention this...

I think I might be in denial.

Cael decided last week that he no longer wanted to sleep in his crib. On the Sunday I was playing with Iain in the living room when I heard Cael talking to himself in his room. He kept saying something over and over, getting louder and louder (which he will do until you acknowledge him and repeat what he said....). I listened more carefully and realized he was saying "nite nite". So I wander in and he is laying on his bed pretending to sleep, in among the stuffed animals, clothes and training pants.













I ask if he wants to sleep and he says no (of course...what ELSE would a 2 year-old say when you ask him something?), so I tell him that is his bed and if he's ever feeling sleepy and wants to lay down, he can go ahead. He napped and slept in his crib that day. Then Monday nite when we said it was bedtime he ran in and climbed up onto his bed. I didn't know what to do. I asked him if he wanted to sleep there and he said "yes, oh yes please mommy!" How could I say no? There was no sheets on the bed...the orange blanket was just to cover up the mattress. There were all of those stuffies on it. I left them, but I put the creepy Spongebob one under the bed. The poor kid would be traumatized if he woke to that in the middle of the nite... I quickly grabbed his pillow and duckie and bunny rabbit from his crib, as well as his special orange fleece blanket that he insists on sleeping with. I left the room and sobbed in the hallway. Well, not really...but it was a close thing. He woke up once during the nite because his soother dropped down the head of the bed.* Nothing since. He even will STAY IN BED until we go in and get him. So funny... Tho the past couple of nites he's gotten up and knocked on his door so we'll go in and do the whole goodnite ritual again. But then nothing...he'll sleep 'til morning.

We haven't even had the chance to go get a guardrail thingie yet!! Jon says maybe we won't bother...he's had no issues yet. When I go do the bedcheck before I go to bed myself, Cael is usually closer to the wall than the edge. So maybe we'll leave it.

My firstborn is a little boy now. No doubt. Gail is even bringing out the potty soon to see if he'll use it after lunch, before naptime. *sob* Although the crib is still in his room. You know...just in case he changes his mind. *ahem* Plus, I need somewhere to keep his diapers. Previously, the clean ones were piled in a basket on his bed. Can't do that now. And yes, I do realize that I could just put the basket on the floor where the crib is currently standing. lalalalala...

*Yes, he still gets his soother. I said I didn't want to take it away from him until after the transition to the big boy bed. And now that he's decided to sleep there, he's become more attached to his soother. Not to the point where he wants it during the day at all, but its harder to get it from him when he wakes up. But soon we'll have to do the "soothers are for babies and you're a big boy" thing...but like I said, I'm in denial over him growing up so maybe he'll be one of those kids who still has a soother when he's four. (kidding...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home